International rail vehicle construction company, Stadler, is headquartered in Bussnang in Eastern Switzerland. Founded in 1942, it has a workforce of over 10,900 based in various production and over 40 service locations.
The Spain Division is made up of Stadler Valencia, the production and technological center for locomotives and passenger vehicles located in Albuixech, which has nearly 1,000 professionals dedicated to the design, manufacture and commissioning of railway vehicles and ERION Rail Maintenance, Joint Venture between Stadler Valencia (51%) and Renfe (49%) dedicated to the maintenance of locomotives and railway vehicles.
of Stadler Valencia:
President of Stadler Rail Valencia: Iñigo Parra. Finance Director: Jorge Gracia. Operations Director: Ignacio Erce. Industrial Director: Miguel Cerdá. Engineering Director: Antonio García-Ricos. Human Resources Director: Juan José Ridaura. International Commercial Director: Mariano Marti. National Commercial Director: Román Ortega. Quality Director: Alfonso Estevan. Purchasing Director: Rafael Meseguer. Legal Director: Rafael Montesinos. IT Director: Juan José Gómez. Business development, Marketing and Communication Director: Juan Antonio Delgado
|Main products and services
- Urban rail vehicles: Metros and LRV including several tram families (TRAMLINK, VARIOBAHN, TANGO, METELITZA) and Tram-Trains (CITYLINK)
- High-speed trains, intercity trains, regional and commuter rail trains in different versions (electric, diesel, bi-mode) and lengths: EC250, FLIRT, GTW, WINK and KISS (double-decker)
- Electric, diesel-electric and dual-mode mainline locomotives for freight and passenger applications (EURODUAL, UK/EUROLight, SALi,).
- Shunting locomotives with central cab and different traction system types and tailor-made locomotives.
- Passenger coaches
- Tailor-made and rack-and-pinion vehicles
Wide range of customized services for rail operators, this applies to both, locomotives and trains: maintenance of vehicles, repair and modernization of rolling stock, management of spare parts, technical support and assistance with specialized engineering staff and training.
Top products: ROLLING STOCK AND TRACTION EQUIPMENT: 1. EURODUAL locomotive. 2. FLIRT . 3: KISS double-decker multiple unit train. 4. CITYLINK TRAIN-TRAM.
||Design, manufacturing and maintenance of rolling stock for railway industry.|
Stadler provides a comprehensive range of products in the heavy and urban transport segments: High-speed trains, intercity trains, regional and commuter rail trains, underground trains, tram trains and trams. Furthermore, Stadler also manufactures main-line locomotives, shunting locomotives and passenger carriages. Stadler remains the world’s leading manufacturer in the rack-and-pinion rail vehicle industry.
|Activities by year
Activities in 2019: In 2019, Stadler Valencia has consolidated its new family of Co'Co 'locomotives on the market with several orders in Europe that bring the number of locomotives sold on this platform to 84. Versatility, profitability and sustainability, EURODUAL is Stadler's technological response to the challenges of rail freight in Europe. The EURODUAL locomotive, which has already obtained the authorization for operation in Germany, in France and in Belgium, has started commercial operations in France and will soon do so in Germany and Scandinavia. But the success of this locomotive also reaches other markets. The private rail freight operator Körfez Ulastirma acquired last summer 7 EURODUAL bi-mode locomotives to be used in cargo transportation in Turkey. This contract is Stadler's first in this country.
In addition, Stadler Valencia has won its first contract in the Pacific region: 34 diesel-electric locomotives for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA). The locomotives will be used for passenger and freight traffic on the narrow gauge network – 1,067 mm – in Taiwan. They are specially designed for the tropical and subtropical climate in this country, which can reach a humidity level of up to 100% and extreme temperatures of up to 45º C.
On the other hand, the new Co’Co’ metre-gauge locomotives SALi of Empresa Ferroviaria Andina (FCA) arrived in Bolivia in September where they will begin freight transport services after performing the corresponding tests on the Bolivian network.
The Finnish national operator VR Group and Stadler signed a contract to supply sixty central cab diesel-electric locomotives in order to improve operational efficiency in terminals, marshalling yards and non-electrified lines which make up 45 percent of the Finnish rail network.
In the domestic market, the contract with ADIF for 22 diesel-electric locomotives and their corresponding maintenance for 8 years should be highlighted. These 4-axle locomotives are intended for use in the UIC gauge Spanish network to carry-out high-speed railway lines inspection, rescue operations of stranded trains, snow clearance and hauling of service trains.
Inside the Group, Stadler Valencia is the center of competence for locomotives but also for light rail vehicles for urban and suburban traffic. It is considered a European benchmark in the tram-train segment with over 160 vehicles sold of the CITYLINK family. These innovative vehicles can run on both the city’s tramlines as well as on the rail network. CITYLINK is a modular, barrier-free light rail vehicle family specially designed to connect the city center with its metropolitan area without transshipments, providing a safe and highly comfortable ride.
At the beginning of the year, Stadler signed a contract with KeolisAmey for the supply of 36 LRV of the CITYLINK family that will circulate on the South Wales Metro network (UK) using 25 kV AC overhead catenary as well as battery power avoiding thus expensive investments in infrastructure.
TRAMLINK, the multi-articulated 100% low-floor tramway family developed and manufactured by Stadler Valencia, has been consolidated in the Swiss and German markets where Stadler Valencia accumulates orders for a total of 79 TRAMLINK vehicles in the last year and a half. Specifically, the plant will supply 54 vehicles to different Swiss operators: the 9 Ferrovie Luganese tram trains will facilitate communication between Lugano and its surroundings; Baselland Transport's 10 multi-tension light vehicles will circulate in the urban and commuter network of Basel; 8 vehicles will be operated by Aargau Verkehr AG near Zurich to which we must add the 27 destined to Bern of the contract signed yesterday with Bernmobil. On the other hand, the two tram orders from Germany total 25 units: 14 will circulate through Erfurt and its historic center operated by Erfurter Verkehrsbetriebe and 11 will go to the city of Augsburg and will be operated by Stadtwerke Augsburg Verkehrs.
Innovations in 2019:
- Development, approval and commissioning of a new generation of 6-axle dual-mode locomotives, the EURODUAL family, available for different gauges and overhead catenaries. It includes the development of this type of locomotives for Scandinavia, which incorporates the hybrid concept of a locomotive operating in electric and diesel mode in extreme environmental conditions.
- Development of SALi locomotive, with an ultra-lightweight design and with forefront technology, to successfully face the challenges to operate on metre-gauge and low axle-load tracks under conditions of great altitude (over 5,000 metres above sea-level).
- Development of the complete CITYLINK tram-train platform (diesel, bi-mode, electric mono-voltage and electrical bi-voltage and hybrid with batteries).
- Development of on-board systems for energy efficiency, vehicle monitoring and tracking.
||The main markets are Europe and the USA but Stadler is present in 41 countries with more than 8000 vehicles sold worldwide.|
As an example, Stadler has sold 1,900 FLIRT trains, its family of regional and commuter trains, in 19 countries on three different continents and 2,300 locomotives in 21 countries of Europe, America, Africa and Asia.
||Prevention, Quality and Environment Certificates:|
- Quality management Certificate, ISO/ TS 22163:2017, issued by Lloyd´s Register Quality Assurance Limited, on 11 September 2018
- Quality Management Certificate, ISO 9001:2008, issued by Lloyd´s Register Quality Assurance, on 14 November 1995.
- Welding Certificate for railway vehicles and components according to 15085-2, Class CL1, issued by GSI SLV du 03 January 2012.
- Environmental Certificate, ISO 14001:2015, issued by Lloyd´s Register Quality Assurance, 12 June 2018.
- EMAS Certificate of environmental management of the company, 2015
- Bonding Certificate, DIN 6701-2, class A1 issued by IFAM on 22 July 2010.
- Health and Safety at Work Certificate, OHSAS 18001.
||Mechanical construction, Rolling stock and traction equipment, Maintenance, Others.|