Stadler has been building trains for over 75 years. The international supplier of rail vehicles has its headquarters in Bussnang, Switzerland and has a workforce of around 12,300 based in various production and engineering locations as well as 50 service locations.
The Spain Division is composed of Stadler Valencia, the production and technological center for locomotives and passenger vehicles located in Albuixech, which has 1,350 professionals dedicated to the design, manufacture and commissioning of railway vehicles and ERION Rail Maintenance, Joint Venture between Stadler Valencia (51%) and Renfe (49%) in charge of the maintenance of locomotives and railway vehicles.
of Stadler Valencia:
President of Stadler Rail Valencia: Iñigo Parra. Finance Director: Jorge Gracia. Operations Director: Ignacio Erce. Industrial Director: Miguel Cerdá. Engineering Director: Antonio García-Ricos. Human Resources Director: Juan José Ridaura. International Commercial Director: Mariano Marti. National Commercial Director: Román Ortega. Quality Director: Alfonso Estevan. Purchasing Director: Rafael Meseguer. Legal Director: Rafael Montesinos. IT Director: Juan José Gómez. Business development, Marketing and Communication Director: Juan Antonio Delgado
||Design, manufacturing and maintenance of rolling stock for railway industry.|
Stadler provides a comprehensive range of products in the heavy and urban transport segments: High-speed trains, intercity trains, regional and commuter rail trains, underground trains, tram trains and trams. Furthermore, Stadler also manufactures main-line locomotives, shunting locomotives and passenger carriages. Stadler remains the world’s leading manufacturer in the rack-and-pinion rail vehicle industry.
Stadler trains are characterized by their outstanding quality. Behind this is a highly qualified and very demanding engineering, which satisfies the individual requirements and wishes of each customer. We strive train by train so that, anywhere in the world, passengers arrive at their destination quickly, safely and comfortably. The company is conscious of its social responsibility for sustainable mobility and therefore stands for innovative, sustainable and durable quality products.
|Main products and services
- Urban rail vehicles: Metros and LRV including several tram families (TRAMLINK, VARIOBAHN, TANGO, METELITZA) and Tram-Trains (CITYLINK)
- High-speed trains, intercity trains, regional and commuter rail trains in different versions (electric, diesel, bi-mode) and lengths: EC250, FLIRT, GTW, WINK and KISS (double-decker)
- Electric, diesel-electric and dual-mode mainline locomotives for freight and passenger applications (EURODUAL, UK/EUROLight, SALi,).
- Shunting locomotives with central cab and different traction system types and tailor-made locomotives.
- Passenger coaches
- Tailor-made and rack-and-pinion vehicles
Wide range of customized services for rail operators, this applies to both, locomotives and trains: maintenance of vehicles, repair and modernization of rolling stock, management of spare parts, technical support and assistance with specialized engineering staff and training.
Top products: ROLLING STOCK AND TRACTION EQUIPMENT: 1. EURODUAL locomotive. 2. FLIRT. 3: KISS double-decker multiple unit train. 4. CITYLINK TRAIN-TRAM.
|Activities by year
Activities in 2020: During 2020, Stadler Valencia has consolidated on the market its new family of Co’Co’ locomotives with the approval and entry into commercial service of EURODUAL in Germany in the first quarter and in Scandinavia (Norway and Sweden) in the last quarter. In 2019, it already received approval in France. There are many operators using these locomotives in their freight transport services. Specifically, we have sold 65 EURODUAL locomotives, 55 for German operators. The success of this locomotive has also spread to other markets like Turkey.
It is a high-performance dual Co’Co’ locomotive that operates in power mode under the catenary but has a powerful state-of-the-art diesel engine to run on non-electrified lines offering the operator versatility, cost-effectiveness and sustainability.
Within this new family of Co’Co’ locomotives, Stadler Valencia has developed the electric version tri-tension, the locomotive EURO6000, in Iberian width and in standard width. The leasing company Alpha Trains is the first customer and Captrain España will be the first operator to use them to run in Spain, France and Luxembourg, as well as for cross-border transport services.
At the end of the year, PROTREN purchased 7 units of the powerful EURO4001 locomotive, the diesel-electric version of EURODUAL, to transport the pulp from the new UPM plant in central Uruguay to the port of Montevideo through the new corridor known as the Central Railway. This is the second order for Stadler Valencia locomotives in Latin America after the SALí locomotives for Ferrovia Andina in Bolivia that have been in operation since autumn 2019.
Within the Group, Stadler Valencia is the center of competence for locomotives, but also light vehicles for urban and suburban traffic. The company is considered a benchmark in the train-tram segment with more than 160 units sold from the CITYLINK family. These innovative light vehicles can run through the city center tram network and on the commuter rail network. CITYLINK is a family of modular, accessible light vehicles specially designed to connect the city center with its metropolitan area without transfers, providing a comfortable, quiet and safe journey. Within this family, it is worth mentioning the acquisition of 4 additional units by the Hungarian operator MAV to operate the first train-tram project in Hungary between the cities of Szeged and Hódmezövásárhely. The first 8 units that were purchased in 2017 will be put into service in the summer of 2021. In Spain, the dual CITYLINK Metric Width for FGV, the 5000 Series, started its commercial operations in the summer of 2020.
Over the last two years, the TRAMLINK platform of 100% low-floor multi-articulated trams has established itself in the European Central market where Stadler Valencia accumulates more than 130 trams in firm orders with options of up to 100 additional vehicles reinforcing its market position as a provider of mobility solutions for people.
In 2019, light-vehicles contracts were signed with local German operators in Erfurt and Augsburg and with Swiss operators in Berne, Basel and the canton of Aargau. In 2020, contracts were signed with the public operators of Jena in Germany, up to 43 trams, and Milan in Italy, up to 80 trams. In addition, Stadtwerke Augsburg has implemented the option of 4 additional vehicles.
In the national market, leadership in the maintenance of passenger vehicles in the Valencian and Balearic Communities remains solvent. It strengthens Stadler's position as a reference manufacturer with a wide range of products, with new contracts such as 3 explorer trains for Adif, 5 locomotives for FGC (Generalitat Catalana Railways).
Innovations in 2020:
- Development, approval and commissioning of a new generation of 6-axle dual-mode locomotives, the EURODUAL family, available for different gauges and overhead catenaries. It includes the development of this type of locomotives for Scandinavia, which incorporates the hybrid concept of a locomotive operating in electric and diesel mode in extreme environmental conditions.
- The program of approvals for locomotives has been maintained:
- EURODUAL in France, Belgium, Germany, Sweden and Norway.
- EURO4001 in France and Belgium.
- EURO6000 in Spain, France and Luxembourg.
- E9000 in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
- Development of the complete CITYLINK tram-train platform (diesel, bi-mode, electric mono-voltage and electrical bi-voltage and hybrid with batteries).
- Development of on-board systems for energy efficiency, vehicle monitoring and tracking.
||The main markets are Europe and the USA but Stadler is present in 43 countries with more than 9,700 vehicles sold worldwide.|
As an example, Stadler has sold 1,970 FLIRT trains, its family of regional and commuter trains, in 21 countries on three different continents and 2,500 locomotives in 22 countries of Europe, America, Africa and Asia.
||Prevention, Quality and Environment Certificates:|
- Quality management Certificate, ISO/ TS 22163:2017, issued by Lloyd´s Register Quality Assurance Limited, on 11 September 2018
- Quality Management Certificate, ISO 9001:2015, issued by Lloyd´s Register Quality Assurance, on 12 July 2018.
- Welding Certificate for railway vehicles and components according to EN 15085-2, Class CL1, issued by DVS Zert, on 6 November 2020.
- Environmental Certificate, ISO 14001:2015, issued by Lloyd´s Register Quality Assurance, 12 June 2018.
- Bonding Certificate, DIN 6701-2, class A1 issued by TBB Cert, on 29 May 2019.
- Health and Safety at Work Certificate, OHSAS 18001:2.007 issued by TÜV NORD CERT on 26 March 2018.
||Mechanical construction, Rolling stock and traction equipment, Maintenance, Others.|